Thursday, May 11, 2017

To Maui! And Beyond!

Ok, so if you know me at all, you know that I am a Nervous Nellie. I battle anxiety and panic attacks, and since I quit drinking eight years ago, I have not flown. Translation: After a few Bloody Mary's, I believe I can fly. Without, I wasn't sure I could ever fly again.





So, imagine my inner turmoil when my wife came to me a few months ago and told me that her boss had given us his condo in Maui in May, and that she and the kids were going, with or without me. I wanted to go, but being trapped in an airplane is my worst fear. Well, actually being trapped in an airplane over water for five hours would be my worst fear. I reluctantly agreed. With one condition. We had to make a practice flight.

So, back in February, we spent a thousand bucks to fly to Vegas for one night, to prove to myself that I could do it. I had some jitters, some heart palpitations, some "I don't want to do this" moments- but we did it. We flew about an hour to Vegas, had a wonderful evening, and returned home the next day.

Fast forward to last Tuesday, when they called our row to board the aforementioned five-hour flight over water. I almost didn't go. Even as we were taking our seats, I was telling my wife they might have to go without me. I so wanted to just get up, fight my way back to the exit door, and get off the flight. But I didn't. I stuck it out, distracted myself. Took my mind off of the fact that I was trapped. Once we were in the air, I was fine. Bored? Yes. Uncomfortable? Yes. But ok. Not going to freak out. Actually enjoying the movies, smiling, laughing. Weird.

I was rewarded with the most unbelievable week. I only managed to run a couple of times, because it was so damn hot and humid that if you didn't go at 6am, you didn't want to go. But it was amazing..

Ape and Me on our first day, 5 miles and change.

Forgive the shadow.. Day two, out for 6.5 miles.


Sunset from our lanai

Don't kick your suitcase the morning you leave

Some poolside reading...

The obligatory luau was so awesome!



April and Charlie even got in a Mom\Daughter 5k!
So, the moral of the story is.. You can do it. You can do anything. It is so worth it. It's ok to be scared. but don't let that fear keep you from trying something. I absolutely cannot wait until the next time we can do this. I am going to try to remember this feeling the next time I am scared to death to try something.. Like, say a 50-miler through the woods?








No comments:

Post a Comment