Thursday, April 13, 2017

Welcome!


I am a mid to back-of-the-packer who loves to run, even though I don't look like it. I have battled anxiety and panic attacks for over fifteen years, and at one point would not run a 5k with my wife, as it was "too far" from my safe zone. I now run 5 and 10k races, half-marathons, and am training for the California International Marathon and the Across The Years 48-hour endurance run, both of which are in December 2017.

I'd like to document my journey, for my own benefit. If it happens to help someone who suffers from anxiety and panic, then all the better.

I'm not a running expert, nor ultra-marathoner (even though I am obsessed with them), and I am not fast. My training methods, nutrition, gear and shoe choices, etc. are all my own, and I encourage you to find your own preferences. Constructive comments and open discussion are welcome. Malicious comments, cyber-bullying, or anything resembling a comment from a YouTube channel will be deleted immediately.




Go see my favorite Ultra runner, Cory Reese at Fast Cory. Check out his amazing book Nowhere Near First. I have read it many times, and will continue to do so regularly. I will, at times, finish the book, then click "Go To Beginning" in my Kindle, and start over again. In fact, he is the inspiration for my wanting to do Across The Years. I love the fact that he is against cutoffs regularly, talks openly about talking to Care Bears and Smurfs, guzzles Dr. Pepper and chows tuna fish sammichs while running. I love that he will not refuse a date with his six-year-old, even if it has a chance to give him food poisoning before a race. Read his book, you will love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment